Monday, March 28, 2005

Southwestern enumeration

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about Diablo Canyon, Chaco, Carlsbad, and the like. I am really quite addicted to New Mexico. The southwest, to be more accurate. It's just a beautiful area. The part of NY that I'm from is gorgeous. In fact, a town near where I grew up is called Ithica, and their slogan is "Ithica is gorges."

Anyway, getting back to the Southwest, here. I was thinking about it, and I'm just so totally in love with the southwest, and the landscapes. It has been influencing a lot of my painting, and artwork. To the left is a painting I did after a trip to Diablo Canyon, near Santa Fe, New Mexico. I have done several other paintings/drawings based highly on New Mexico landscapes, and sunsets.

There are roads that come out of Chaco. And they are just amazing. It's a big archelogical thing. There are 4 roads and they connect down to roads in Mexico, which end up connecting to the roads in the Peruvian desert. These roads are amazing, and perfect. Even today with our high-technology equipment, we can't do that. The roads in Peru have steps cut into the cliffs so you can climb up and over the cliff, still on the same road. They're Indian roads. And they go on, and on, and on. It's totally amazing.

When I first came to New Mexico from New York, I didn't think I would like it. It was a beautiful place, but I missed the green, and I missed the water. The longer I've been here, the more beautiful I have realized it is. I am just totally captured. The sunsets, and moonrises, and mountains...all of it just has me fascinated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home