Monday, November 29, 2004

- Dreamscape -

I was running through the woods of Transylvania, pushing, it seemed, through the thick fog of an early autumn morning. I had been woken from a sound slumber only a few hours before to discover my candle had flickered out from a sudden draft of icy wind coming through my room at the Napoca inn. Startled, and suddenly nervous, I gathered my belongings, tarot cards, journal, cloak and daggers, and started running. I didn't know what from, nor did I care. My twin daggers were thumping against my hips in time with my feet crunching the fallen leaves. They were a gift from my father only days before he passed away. The feel of their cold oak handles brings me a small amount of pain amidst the calm contentness.

After what I surmised to be 30 minutes, I slowed my pace to a stroll taking in the scent of the trees, and staying alert to the sounds of the birds, as their tune, or lack thereof, would alert me to approaching danger. This part of the forest, nestled in the foothills of the Binor Mountains, was abnormally quiet and dank for this time of day. I had spent years running around these mountains as a child, weaving in and out of the trees and playing games with the children of the forest. I had grown accustomed to the sound of silence. The usual cheerful songs of the birds have decreased significantly to the random song of a bird in search of his mate.

I found myself resting at the foot of the Carpathains, gazing through the trees, where my eyes met my destination. Sibia. I had heard a long time ago, nevermind how long exactly, about a priest specializing in divination who could help with matters sickening the heart. Every gypsy has a set of tarot cards, but not everybody had the sight that lived within Benesov.

Benesof is rumored to be one of the older memebers of the Darne clan. Our paths crossed once, a long time ago. I was staing with my uncle at the time. Uncle Arad. My mother's younger brother. His clan was camping outside of Alba. Some years back, Arad had a disagreement with some of the elders, and they told him he was no longer welcome among our people. They said he was conjuring images of detlene, and black magik was not allowed. My mother was frightened when she came to me late one night. I remember I couldn't sleep. I was unnerved. I was rubbing my talisman nervously with my skirt wrapped tightly around my legs, and my knees pulled towards my chest, rocking...rocking back and forth in the dark.

She cried out, running towards me, with a frightened look in her eyes. She knelt down until she was leval with me, crouched against our wagon.

"I feel something coming..." she whispered, taking my hands in hers.
"What Mama?"
"You must leave us. You must get to safety." she said to me, handing me a bundle of items.
"I have gathered for you, your cards, a few coins, and writing objects in case you need to write a letter."
"But..."
"Go! Gather some clothes, and go. I have a map for you to find Arad's clan. It should be in this region." she pointed at the map clutched in my hand.

I nodded, and then looked at my mother's troubled brown eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home